Thursday, April 22, 2010

Feels Like Home




Have you ever driven by the house you grew up in and wondered what your old room looks like and who is living there? Wondered if there were kids playing spot light...or having sleep overs...or celebrating birthdays...or being picked up for their first date? Have you ever wondered what it would be like to go back? To really go back and be in that house that you had so many amazing memories (or in my case, some instances you'd like to forget because you were a disrespectful heathen). Well, I've gone back...but this time it was different, and for a different purpose.




I was listening to the radio the other day on my way home from work, and heard this incredible new song by country artist, Miranda Lambert. The song was about just this: going back home. I just want to share a little exerpt from her song "The House That Built Me"...




I thought if I could touch this place or feel it
This brokenness inside me might start healing.
Out here it’s like I’m someone else
I thought that maybe I could find myself.
If I could just come in I swear I’ll leave;
Won’t take nothing but a memory,
From the house that built me.
You leave home,
and you move on,
and you do the best you can.
I got lost in this old world,
and forgot who I am.







I feel that the lyrics in this song are so powerful. The house that built me - that alone says it! In my opinion, where you come from reflects who you will become. You may come from this incredible place, but that doesn't prevent you from straying off the right path. But what is important are the lessons you learn along the way, and that you find your way back.






People always say 'desparate times call for desparate measures' - and I've found that to be true. Sometimes when you are at your absolute weakest moment, you have to swallow that pride and do what you know you have to do to move forward. I'm fortunate enough to have the kind of family that loves me unconditionally, without judgement...and will always be there to catch me when I fall. Not everyone can say this. I am blessed to say that I had a very fulfilled childhood, comprised of so many unforgettable moments. The kind of togetherness that you just don't see anymore...the kind of family that still eat dinner around the table and pray...the kind of family laughs, plays games and truly enjoys each others company. It's rare to see a family with parents [and grandparents] who are still together, and still in love after so long.





These are the kind of things that inspire me to want the same. I want to provide this kind of stable lifestyle when I have kids. I want to show them what my parents showed me: that basically blood is thicken than water. Friends come and go, but family is here to stay.








To my parents - It may have taken me until I was an adult to realize it, but I truly appreciate you both, and thank you for everything you've done (and will do) for me! I'm thankful for the house that built me, and I love you more than I can say.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive