Sunday, May 9, 2010

My Momshell




Today is a day that all across the world, people are celebrating mothers. The woman who is your sole reason for life gets one day out of 365 to truly feel appreciated. To me, it's kind of like Valentines' Day - big money for the retail market, but it shouldn't be this way. Why should you only take one day out of the year to tell someone you love them? Why should you take only one day to make your mom feel appreciated and thank her for all she has ever [and will ever] do for you? However, it is nice to think of all the families everywhere, that are gathering around the dinner table, celebrating mom. I like that, but I wish it would happen more often!








I was lucky enough to grow up with a stay-at-home mom. My sister and I compare her to a "Martha Stewart" type of mom - the kind that is uber crafty, throws fun birthday parties, a great cook, and super creative. She was very involved with us at school, drove the car pool, and even headed up the girls scouts. My mom would sew my sister and I all of these matching outfits - we didn't appreciate it at the time, but now I do. She would even make our Halloween costumes - so we never had the same as anyone else. It just shows how much thought, time and effort she put into something just for us.













I used to sit and watch her apply makeup and do her hair. My sister and I loved playing dress up in her fancy clothes and march around in her high heel shoes. I know we eminated our mom because we wanted to be just like her. Even though now we are older, and our interests have matured...so has our relationship. I love that she is "in" with trends, and is a facebook junkie, and that Snoop Dogg is her favorite reality show, and will go to piano bars and drink cocktails with us. When my mom, sister and I get together, it's just non-stop laughter. Even if it's over something completely ridiculous, we just carry on and crack up over nothing. We have all these funny inside jokes, and impressions and little quirks that only we understand. I love that.










I get told all the time that I look just like my mom. I don't take that as an insult either because my mom is the prettiest woman in the world to me and still looks so young! That's why I would like to refer to her as a "momshell" -- get it?...as in bombshell?








Mom, thank you for all the things you do for me. Thank you for being there for me. Thank you for being you. I love you.










XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive